Subject: Re: [vserver] Linux-vserver + Arm
From: Gordan Bobic <gordan@bobich.net>
Date: Sat, 09 Mar 2013 00:53:02 +0000

On 09/03/2013 00:09, Tor Rune Skoglund wrote:
> Hi List,
>
> I am to start experimenting with an Arm based solution in some weeks,
> and would love to be able to run a recent linux-vserver system on it.
>
> Googling Arm and linux-vserver did not give a concluding answer.
>
> http://kb.haeringer.org/virtualization-on-arm-with-lxc/  claims that it
> is most likely not easily doable, while the wiki immodestly lists Arm as
> one of the many supported architectures....
>
> Does anyone have any actual experiences on this that they could share?
> Or any qualified insight on state of affairs for Arm + vserver (for the
> time...)?

I have Vserver working on my Sheeva/Guru/Dream plugs with kernels around
the EL6 era (2.6.32-2.6.38 range, not tried more recent kernels). Works
just fine. Search my posts on the subject dating back to around March
2011. I got it working back then for my EL6 build farm when I was
porting it to ARM (google RedSleeve Linux).

The main problem was getting dietlibc working on ARM. It required some
fixing, but once that was sorted out everything pretty much "just worked".

I cannot really advise on the bleeding edge kernels and userspaces, my
interest at the moment is purely in the EL6 range (at least until EL7
public, beta or otherwise).

Gordan