Subject: vserver guest memory usage: cache/buffers?
From: Jarry <mr.jarry@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 28 Nov 2011 17:39:44 +0100

Hi,

finally I managed memory limits to work using the old way
using rss.hard and rss.soft (for whatever reason, cgroups
simply did not work for me). But I'm a little surprised how
memory is used/reported in this version (2.3.0.36.32):

vs6a / # free
         total      used    free    shared  buffers  cached
Mem:    524288     160324  363964  0       0        158424
-/+ buffers/cache: 1900    522388
Swap:   524288     0       524288

I'm running one more older vserver-host (2.2.0.7), and there
I never get anything for "cached":

vs6b / # free
         total       used   free    shared  buffers  cached
Mem:    262144      6556   255588  0       0        0
-/+ buffers/cache:  6556   255588
Swap:   786432      0      786432

I also see RSS-memory usage as reported by vserver-stat is
now much higher:

(new) vserver-stat:
CTX   PROC    VSZ    RSS  userTIME   sysTIME    UPTIME NAME
6000     3  88.5M 155.9M   0m15s54   0m01s94   8m11s53 vs6a

(old) vserver-stat:
CTX   PROC    VSZ    RSS  userTIME   sysTIME    UPTIME NAME
6000     3  90.7M     4M   0m01s57   0m00s65   1d03h06 vs6b

There is absolutely the same software running (namely nothing
but init, cron and syslog-ng), yet the old vserver-guest takes
just 4MB of RSS, the new one takes 156MB! This corresponds
with ~150MB used for disk-cache.

Unfortunatelly, I can't compare memory usage of vserver-hosts,
as there is different software running. So my question is:
Was something changed in caching, concerning vserver-guests
recently? Was it "moved" from vserver-host to vserver-guests?

Jarry