Subject: Developer recommendations.
From: "Roderick A. Anderson" <raanders@cyber-office.net>
Date: Tue, 06 Jul 2010 15:13:25 -0700

I currently use LV hosts and guests based on CentOS 5.x.

This means I either have to learn to build my own kernel RPM or (this is
going to sound bad no matter how I put it) trust in others.  The trust
isn't so much in their work but in their having time to do the work.

I figure I should start building my own.  This way I get the latest and
greatest and it could lead to a LV "distribution."

So how do I go about getting the leanest and meanest host?  Right now,
even if I build from a stripped down install of CentOS there are a pile
of "extras".

But I'd still like to build CentOS guests (yum, etc.) to make the
maintenance/upkeep easier on others.

They feel like contradictory goals.

So my question for now: How do the developers build their systems?

\\||/
Rod