Subject: Linux-VServer and net namespaces
From: Grzegorz Nosek <grzegorz.nosek@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 25 Nov 2009 22:01:47 +0100
Wed, 25 Nov 2009 22:01:47 +0100
Hi,

Linux-VServers' networking isolation support doesn't really fit my use
case too well (I'd like to have traffic *routed* from the outside
world via the host to guests) so I tried to use network namespaces
with VServer tools. I see the recent util-vserver snapshots provide a
tool called vspace and some options in /etc/vservers, although they
don't configure the network in any meaningful way (e.g. by creating a
macvlan device or a pair of veths or something). However, a bigger
problem is related to putting network devices inside network
namespaces -- the Linux-VServer kernel (2.6.31.6-vs2.3.0.36.24) oopses
immediately, leaving the network stack unstable. I haven't saved the
stack trace but the fix is attached -- looks like the cause was a
simple mismerge so the fix is trivial too. Please consider for the
next release.

On a related note, is anybody trying to make Linux-VServer coexist
nicely with network namespaces? I'd rather not reinvent the wheel.

On a less related note, is there an easy way to determine guest init's
pid (from the host's perspective)? It's required for setting up (net)
namespaces.

Best regards,
 Grzegorz Nosek

["application/octet-stream" not shown]