Subject: strange util-vserver issues?
From: Claus Herwig <lists@checon.de>
Date: Thu, 12 Mar 2009 00:38:07 +0100

Hi,

I have vservers running on some debian etch based amd64 machines, but
with self compiled kernels. I use util-vserver package 0.30.212-1 with
kernels 2.6.20.18 or 2.6.22.19, and everything works as expected. I.e.
vserver-stat prints
CTX   PROC    VSZ    RSS  userTIME   sysTIME    UPTIME NAME
0       62 268.2M  24.5M  13h16m47   1h45m19  25d23h55 root server
(... continued for the virtual machines)

Now I built a new machine similar to the existing ones, but I thought
I'd give debian lenny a try.
So on this machine I got util-vserver 0.30.216~r2772-6 together with my
own 2.6.22.19 kernel.

First thing: The debian init script now tries to set barrier attributes
on <vserverroot>/.pkg and <vserverroot>/.hash and complains if they
don't exist. What are these dirs for? Till now I didn't have them in my
vserver roots.

Then: No more errors or something, but vserver-stat only prints
CTX   PROC    VSZ    RSS  userTIME   sysTIME    UPTIME NAME

No root context. I copied and tested an existing vserver directory. It
starts and the vserver context shows up in vserver-stat, but still no
root context.

So I wonder, if I got a problem here. Or did just util-vserver change
its behaviour somehow?

Thanks,
   Claus

--
CHECON   EDV-Consulting und Redaktion
          Claus Herwig * Barer Straße 70 * 80799 München