Subject: Re: [vserver] strange network issues
From: ben@bristolwireless.net
Date: Sat, 21 Feb 2009 11:03:13 +0000

Quoting Corin Langosch <corinl@gmx.de>:

> No it's not set - what does this flag exactly do? I just read a bit
> about it and it seems it only comes into play when the main device (so
> eth0?) goes down.

Almost, if it's unset it means that when an IP that happens to be the
primary IP of the interface is removed. Whether an IP is the primary
IP depends on how/when the interfaces where created, so the removal
any one of them could take all your interfaces down. Use

$ip addr ls

to see which of the IPs in your vserver collection has (almost
randomly it can seems) been assigned the status of primary.

> I didn't find any syslog entries concerning network
> issues, not at the host nor at the guest...so I think eth0 did not
> change it's state.

It doesn't need to for this to come into play, it's about removal of
the primary IP. Add the flag, from your description it is matches the
problem you are experiencing exactly.

cheers,

==
 From Ben Green