Subject: Requirements for file to be hashified
From: Jim Wight <j.k.wight@ncl.ac.uk>
Date: Thu, 30 Oct 2008 15:49:22 +0000

What are the requirements for files to be hashified? I thought it was
simply identical content. If so, what might be the reason for the
following behaviour?

# cp /tmp/testfile leave/usr/local
# cp /tmp/testfile bscw2/usr/local
# vserver leave hashify; vserver bscw2 hashify
# ls -l */usr/local/testfile
-rwxr-xr-x 2 root root 227 Oct 30 15:14 bscw2/usr/local/testfile
-rwxr-xr-x 2 root root 227 Oct 30 15:14 leave/usr/local/testfile
# find */usr/local -name testfile -printf "%p %i\n"
bscw2/usr/local/testfile 1150163
leave/usr/local/testfile 1200007

I would have expected 3 links and same inode. testfile is an ASCII file.

Other identical files, such as those in /var/qmail/bin, as mentioned in
the 'Hashify and exclude' thread, have been successfully hashified post
initial hashification.

Jim