Subject: Re: [vserver] How to build kernel modules for host?
From: "Roderick A. Anderson" <raanders@acm.org>
Date: Wed, 24 Sep 2008 12:00:18 -0700

Herbert Poetzl wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 24, 2008 at 10:47:20AM -0700, Roderick A. Anderson wrote:
>> And if that question isn't ambiguous enough I don't know what would be.
>>
>> So here goes.  I need to build a kernel module that is need by software
>> to run in a guest.  Specifically the zaptel(ztdummy) module for Asterisk.
>>
>> The instructions I'm using (http://www.telephreak.org/papers/vpa/) are
>> based on a debian install so since I use CentOS so my-mileage-will-vary.
>>
>> When I've installed Asterisk on standalone systems I remember needing to
>> install the kernel sources/headers.  That was a full Asterisk install so
>> I'm not sure if to build only the zaptel driver I need them -- the
>> source/headers.
>>
>> To be on the safe side I'd like to go ahead and install them.
>>
>> So the questions are:
>>  * Is the kernel*src*.rpm from Daniel's repository enough?
>
> should be fine to build modules ..
> actually a 'devel' package for the kernel should suffice

That sound much better.  I downloaded the the src RPM and did a rpmbuild
-bp to get tarball extracted and patches applied.  But now it is the
zaptel build that is giving me the fits.  It gives me:

You do not appear to have the sources for the 2.6.22.19-vs2.3.0.34.1
kernel installed.  So far I've tried to softlink link

/usr/src/2.6.22.19-vs2.3.0.34.1 to /usr/src/redhat/BUILD/kernel-2.6.22

No joy.  So I'll keep at it unless someone can give me a cheap-trick
that will get the zaptel makefile look at the LV source directory.  I
see there are two below the one mentioned above which means I'm probably
pointing at the wrong one.

Rod