Subject: Re: [vserver] About running X server on guest
From: Stephen Liu <satimis@yahoo.com>
Date: Sat, 30 Aug 2008 08:39:22 +0800 (CST)

--- Nicolas Cadou <ncadou@cobi.net> wrote:

> IMHO, having X applications on the host display on an X server in a
> guest has no advantages and in addition is a hassle.
>
> There is no gain in security by running X in a guest instead of the
> host, as to just start X in a guest you have to open up that guest
> (give capabilities, unhide proc entries and whatnot.)

Thanks.  Ok I'll end up this test and move on to other tests.  My
target is allowing another person to use the guest as his own PC.  I'll
leave it to desktop virtualization.

> Running X applications on the host is much less secure than in a
> guest, so all in all you end up with a less secure and way more
> difficult to configure system than the reverse, which is to run X on
> the host and the apps in a guest.

Sorry I don't follow "... which is to run X on the host and the apps in
a guest."   E.g. if installing Firefox on the guest can I run it on the
host?  Or can I can run it in guest w/o X.  Or in the guest to forward
X of host to it with ssh and then evoke Firefox?  TIA

B.R.
Stephen L