Subject: Re: [vserver] About patch file to be download
From: Stephen Liu <satimis@yahoo.com>
Date: Tue, 26 Aug 2008 18:48:52 +0800 (CST)

--- Peter Mann <Peter.Mann@tuke.sk> wrote:

> On Tue, Aug 26, 2008 at 04:20:14PM +0800, Stephen Liu wrote:

- snip -

> you compiled some kernel ago? if you don't have experience with
> kernel
> compiling, is better to use some ready kernel packages ... so try
> Debian
> (if you are using dpkg packaging system)

Hi Peter,

A further thought;

Since this is a test plus I'm not experienced on Linux-VServer it would
be better for me to do the easy way first, installing Debian
ready-built kernel on Ubuntu 8.04.

On this page of Debian website;
http://packages.debian.org/en/etch/admin/

there are many linux-image packages.  Which one would be suitable for
my application?

What additional packages do I need.  TIA

Googling brought me following documents which I suppose would be
suitable for me to compile kernel.

How To Compile A Kernel - The Ubuntu Way
http://www.howtoforge.com/kernel_compilation_ubuntu

How To Compile A Kernel - Debian Etch
http://www.howtoforge.com/kernel_compilation_debian_etch

Kernel
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Kernel/Compile

HOWTO: Kernel Compilation for Newbies

B.R.
Stephen L

P.S. after installing the new kernel what shall I do with the old
kernel?  Whether the new kernel will replace the old kernel
automatically during installation removing all un-necessary packages?