Subject: Re: [vserver] About patch file to be download
From: Stephen Liu <satimis@yahoo.com>
Date: Tue, 26 Aug 2008 17:10:51 +0800 (CST)

Hi Peter,

Thanks for your advice.

--- Peter Mann <Peter.Mann@tuke.sk> wrote:

> On Tue, Aug 26, 2008 at 04:20:14PM +0800, Stephen Liu wrote:
> > But I can't find linux-source-2.6.26.3 on Ubuntu repo
> >
> > # apt-cache search linux-source-2.6.26.3
> > No printout
>
> 2.6.24 is for Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy
>
> 2.6.26 will be the next kernel for Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid (now in
> development stage: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/IntrepidReleaseSchedule)
>
> http://packages.ubuntu.com/intrepid/linux-source-2.6.26

Noted with thanks.

> > Whether download the following patch tarball;
> > http://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/v2.6/patch-2.6.26.3.bz2
> >
> > and decompress it?
>
> you compiled some kernel ago?

Yes, several years ago compiling/building kernel from source when I
built my own Linux OS (LinuxFromScratch).  I still have some
recollection.  However I'll make a search first before start.  Thanks.

> if you don't have experience with
> kernel
> compiling, is better to use some ready kernel packages ... so try
> Debian
> (if you are using dpkg packaging system)

Yes, I have dpkg running here.  I run "dpkg install *.deb" occasionally
together alien converting *.rpm to *.deb.  Or run "alien -i *rpm"
straight.  Thanks

B.R.
Stephen L