Subject: Re: [vserver] seeking advicce on Host OS selection
From: Stephen Liu <satimis@yahoo.com>
Date: Tue, 26 Aug 2008 09:26:59 +0800 (CST)

Hi Nicolas and folks,

Lot of thanks for your advice and suggestion.

--- Nicolas Cadou <ncadou@cobi.net> wrote:

> Le August 25, 2008, Thomas Weber a écrit :
> > OTOH, running a 'supported' host distribution with all the services
> on
> >  the host makes vservers (well, any kind of virtualization) pretty
> >  useless.
> >
> >  Maybe that's something one should teach management first.
>
> Yes that's true. OTOH, Ubuntu Server's bare install is pretty lean,
> the only
> running services are the ones I added myself (ssh and snmpd). And
> libvirt of
> course.
>
> So it's not so bad in the end.

A side question.

That is what I usually did installing a bare server OS on a PC and run
a workstation or a LiveCD on another box to configure the server
remotely.  Because I need a GUI browser searching Internet in case of
problem.  Text browser doesn't help much.  Additionally I need a text
editor (usually GUI) copying down all steps performed for reference in
case of problem on configuring the server.  "script" does not help me
much because it records codes difficult to read.  Running "col" to
clean it is not 100% perfect.

Later to overcome running 2 boxes doing one job, I install X packages
including, a light weight desktop, such as flux, etc., leafpad (GUI
text editor), roxfiler (file manager), etc. (all light weight packages)
on the server.  But it needs additional work.  Is there any suggestion?
 TIA

Remark: I have no problem to install/configure guests remotely on a VM
running bare server OS as host.  I did it before.

B.R.
Stephen L