Subject: Re: [vserver] Pros and Cons of 32/64bit guests on 64bit host
From: Stephen Liu <satimis@yahoo.com>
Date: Fri, 22 Aug 2008 10:32:39 +0800 (CST)

Hi Ed,

I'm testing OpenVZ/vserver/VMware/Kvm/qemu respectively on their own
PC.  This thread attracts my interest.  I'm considering building a
quadcore PC with 8G RAM to test this idea running several VMs on same
PC.  Interesting!!!

--- Ed W <lists@wildgooses.com> wrote:

- snip -

> So you kind of allocate XYZ MB to each virtual machine
> and
> you roughly have to live with that commitment

Please explain in more detail.  On installing the software of virtual
machine they don't request alloting XYZ MB RAM.

> Since the former are kind of complete machine emulations I would
> assume
> it's no problem to run vserver under a kvm/vmware image.

If I understand your advice correct I can install vserver on the guest
running on KVM/VMware image?  A virtual machine on another virtual
machine?

> On the other
> hand there is no way to run Windows under a vserver image since it's
> really just a fancy chroot system (plus some other features)

I can't install Windows on OpenVZ.  I have no idea whether it works on
vserver.  On installing Vista Ultimate on KVM I encountered some
problem.  I can't start it on next boot without putting its installer
on CDRom.  Otherwise it will be dropped to rescue mode.  I read a
document on Internet suggesting installing XP first, stopping after
partitioning and continue installing Vista Ultimate.  I'll test this
suggestion later when I have time.

Others noted with thanks

B.R.
Stephen