Subject: Re: [vserver] nfs share attribute problem
From: Chuck <chuck@sbbsnet.net>
Date: Sun, 18 Sep 2011 14:19:45 -0400

On Sunday, September 18, 2011, Herbert Poetzl wrote:
> On Sat, Sep 17, 2011 at 10:53:24PM -0400, Chuck wrote:
> > i am trying to mount the entire contents of /vservers from an
> > nfs share rather than locally. the mount works, but showattr
> > indicates i have lost the Barrier attribute and cannot re-set
> > it.... the ony workaround i have found is to mount each
> > vserver/guestname via nfs and not the /vservers dir.. that is
> > a LOT of nfs mounts!! more than 30 on one machine.
>
> > won't that present performance problems?
>
> mostly depends on the server and on the amount of
> possibly shared data ...
>
> > is there a way to set the barrier on an nfs mounted /vservers
> > dir?
>
> well, the bad news is, as longs as the server doesn't
> support the additional attributes, there is no way to
> set the barrier flag on an nfs share, the good news
> OTOH is, that the barrier most likely isn't needed
> anymore with recent kernel/patches

ahh.. yeah been trying to set the barrier on the mountpoint... cool

im updating all the gentoo kernels to  2.3.0.36.32
and the util-vservers to 0.30.216_pre2955

is that new enough we may not need the barrier? i would *really* rather not mount 30+
nfs
mounts on each machine or have them ready to roll.. this is an idea so that if one machine

dies, another can take over just by starting them.

--

Chuck