Subject: OpenSwan and vServer
From:Christian Bäcker <christian.baecker@gmx.eu>
Date: Tue, 8 Feb 2011 09:32:08 +0100

 Tue, 8 Feb 2011 09:32:08 +0100
Hi,

I have a problem with ipsec compiled as kernel modules and vServer.
When I start ipsec in my vServer I get following error messages.

vserver1:/# /etc/init.d/ipsec start
ipsec setup: Starting Openswan IPsec 2.4.12...
ipsec setup: ERROR: Failed to load or detect KLIPS and NETKEY
ipsec setup: Broken 2.6 kernel without kallsyms, skipping calcgoo (Fedora rpm?)
ipsec setup: FATAL: Module ipsec not found.
ipsec setup: kernel appears to lack IPsec support (neither CONFIG KLIPS or CONFIG NET
KEY are set)

I checked that all modules, e.g. af key, are loaded and also tried to give my vServer
all possible (b,c,n)capabilities, without any success. I got the same result with the
Debian Lenny vServer-kernel.
Because I could successfully establish a connection on my host system, I recompiled
the kernel, now with ipsec included, not as modules. I suspect that NET KEY would be
sufficient. Now, ipsec starts successfully in my vServer too.

I did not found any usefull information or similar problem description. Did I had overseen
something or is this a bug? Links welcome.

ipsec-tools: 0.7.3-12
openswan: 2.6.28+dfsg-5
util-vserver: 0.30.216~r2772-6
vserver: 2.3.0.35