Subject: Debian guest on Gentoo host problem
From: Tor Rune Skoglund <trs@sg.no>
Date: Tue, 18 May 2010 10:30:02 +0200

Hi List,

Debian guest on Gentoo host: Someone care to give me a hint here?

Situation: I have a gentoo host (linux-2.6.32-vserver-2.3.0.36.28) with
util-vserver 0.30.216_pre2883. I have been using gentoo vservers for years
without problems. Now, I have to setup a debian guest, and ran into problems
almost immediately.

Following the guide on linux-vserver.org (
http://linux-vserver.org/Building_Guest_Systems#Building_guests_using_the_debootstrap_build_method
)
and running

>vserver dt build -m debootstrap --context 248 --hostname dt --interface \
> eth0:192.168.42.248/24 -- -d lenny -m http://ftp.de.debian.org/debian

gave

>Could not find local version of 'debootstrap'; downloading it from
>http://ftp.debian.org/debian/pool/main/d/debootstrap/debootstrap_1.0.20_all.deb...
>http://ftp.debian.org/debian/pool/main/d/debootstrap/debootstrap_1.0.20_all.deb:
>2010-05-18 09:30:22 FEIL 404: Not Found.
>ERROR: Could not download the debootstrap package from
>
>  http://ftp.debian.org/debian/pool/main/d/debootstrap/debootstrap_1.0.20_all.deb
>
>Usually, this means that Debian released a new version which is unknown
>to util-vserver and removed the known ones. To fix this, go to
>
>   http://ftp.debian.org/debian/pool/main/d/debootstrap/
>
>(or a nearby mirror) and search the URL for the most recent *.deb
>package matching your platform. Then, put this URL into
>
>   /etc/vservers/.defaults/apps/debootstrap/uri
>
>and retry the vserver-build command again.

which was an understandable message, so I did as requested by doing

mkdir /etc/vservers/.defaults/apps/debootstrap

and adding the uri below to the following file

/etc/vservers/.defaults/apps/debootstrap/uri

http://ftp.debian.org/debian/pool/main/d/debootstrap/debootstrap_1.0.22_all.deb

(as there seems to be no specific amd64 package anymore...)

Rerunning

>vserver dt build -m debootstrap --context 248 --hostname dt --interface \
> eth0:192.168.42.248/24 -- -d lenny -m http://ftp.de.debian.org/debian

now gives

>Could not find local version of 'debootstrap'; downloading it from
>http://ftp.debian.org/debian/pool/main/d/debootstrap/debootstrap_1.0.22_all.deb...
>2010-05-18 09:46:21 >URL:http://ftp.debian.org/debian/pool/main/d/debootstrap/debootstrap_1.0.22_all.deb
>[57090/57090] -> "/var/tmp/debootstrap.RKmFEc/debootstrap.deb" [1]
>I: Retrieving Release
>E: Invalid Release file, no entry for main/binary-GenuineIntel/Packages
>chroot-sh: open("/etc/apt/sources.list"): No such file or directory
>secure-mount: chdir("/tmp"): No such file or directory
>/etc/vservers/dt/fstab:2:1: failed to mount fstab-entry
>vcontext: execvp("bash"): No such file or directory
>wait(): No child processes
>
>An error occured while executing the vserver startup sequence; when
>there are no other messages, it is very likely that the init-script
>(bash -c
>        exec  > /dev/null
>        exec 2> /dev/null
>        trap 'kill -s 9 -- -1; exit 0' INT
>        sleep 30
>        kill -s 15 -- -1
>        sleep 1
>        kill -s 9 -- -1) failed.
>
>Common causes are:
>* /etc/rc.d/rc on Fedora Core 1 and RH9 fails always; the 'apt-rpm' build
>  method knows how to deal with this, but on existing installations,
>  appending 'true' to this file will help.
>

>Failed to start vserver 'dt'
>'vserver ... suexec' is supported for running vservers only; aborting...
>'vserver ... suexec' is supported for running vservers only; aborting...
>'vserver ... suexec' is supported for running vservers only; aborting...
>'vserver ... suexec' is supported for running vservers only; aborting...

which make me a feel a bit lost :)

E: Invalid Release file, no entry for main/binary-GenuineIntel/Packages
seems to be the critical error, but having little experience with debian,
I am not sure where to begin.

If anyone care to help, I'll update the wiki afterwards.

- Tor Rune Skoglund
trs@sg.no