Subject: Re: [vserver] Too many network devices inside guest?
From: Gerhard Mehsel <sparking@gmx.net>
Date: Fri, 30 Oct 2009 23:01:20 +0100

Hello Herbert,

thank you for your reply!

I got it working now. After suppling correct params for the build
command like this
     vserver vs2 build \
     -m debootstrap --context 1234 \
     --hostname vs2 \
     --interface eth0:xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx/26 \
     --interface 0=eth0:xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx/26 \
     --interface lo:127.0.0.1/32 \
     -- -d lenny -m http://ftp.de.debian.org/debian

it configured the guests network correctly. Now I have inside my guest:
eth0 : IP and netmask correct
eth0:0 IP and netmask correct
lo

But nevertheless your information helped me to understand more about the
guest network configuration.

 > please avoid the 2.6.26 kernels, they are known-to-be-broken
In which way are they broken? Do I have an alternative? I'm using the
linux-image-2.6.26-1-vserver-686 as it is the Lenny standard vserver
kernel after a fresh installation.

> you usually do not specify 127.0.0.1 for a guest,
> unless you exactly know what you are doing :)

as you can read, I don't know what I'm doing :-)
But why not use --interface lo:127.0.0.1/32 ?
I use it to bind mysqld to 127.0.0.1:3306

BTW I have another problem now: I installed apache2 inside the guest and
it cannot start up. Apache complains, that it cannot bind to 0.0.0.0:80
As there is no other services listening to port 80 and  I cannot find
any zombie pids from apache  I'm not sure if it is still a networking
problem or perhaps a result of the 2.6.26 kernel bug? Or is it me (=
configuration problem)?
What do you think?

Have a nice time,
Gerd