Subject: all memory consumed
From: Chuck <chuck@sbbsnet.net>
Date: Thu, 22 Oct 2009 22:16:44 -0400

I  doubt this is a vserver problem, but I am placing this here just in case
there may be something.

we run a remote logging server that every host and guest logs to in addition
to local logs. when all is well this works just fine.

if the remote log server is taken down, suddenly most of the hosts begin
chewing up all available memory and swap until they crash. disabling remote
logging on everything cured this but obviously is not what we want.

i am also posting this in the gentoo forum in case it is a syslog-ng or other
issue.

we use 2 lines in every syslog-ng config.. obviously the ip is changed for
public viewing:

destination remote { udp("1.3.0.1"); };
log { source(src); destination(remote); };

on all machines
kernel is

2.6.26-vs2.3.0.35.6-gentoo

util-vserver is 0.30.215