Subject: Re: [vserver] webfrontend (was Re: [vserver] Roadmap and Future ...)
From: randall <randall@songshu.org>
Date: Fri, 27 Feb 2009 14:05:47 +0100

Jon Bendtsen wrote:
> On 27/02/2009, at 13.54, randall wrote:
>
>> Jon Bendtsen wrote:
>>>
>>> I dont think so, they would still have to patch the kernel and
>>> recompile.
>>>
>> not always, i always just do something like this
>>
>> apt-get install linux-image-2.6-vserver-686-bigmem util-vserver
>> vserver-debiantools
>
> If they can do that, then following:
>     http://linux-vserver.org/Building_Guest_Systems
> and copying the commands
>     vserver vserver1 build -m debootstrap --context 42  --hostname
> vserver1.mydomain.com  --interface eth0:192.168.1.10/24  -- -d lenny
> -m http://ftp.de.debian.org/debian
> is not hard.
>

> JonB

going back to the original example, like somebody who wants t his first
dev setup to try out what apache does) you assume they know what
debootstrap means etc..

its about guiding somebody who does not know to set up something easily
without first needing to hit the books.
Agreed, once you want to make extensive use of it it might be time to
learn the difference between a hostname and a domain name but that was
not the target audience intended.

--

www.songshu.org
Just another collection of nuts