Subject: Re: [vserver] compiling vmplayer modules in a debian 2.6.18-amd64 vserver
From: Ekkard Gerlach <ekkardgerlach@aiai.de>
Date: Tue, 6 Jan 2009 02:22:40 +0100

* Herbert Poetzl schrieb:

[...]
> >    pc16@arthur:~> ssh -X pc19@10.0.0.49 /opt/kde3/bin/kwrite
> >    kwrite: cannot connect to X server arthur2:10.0
> >   Jan  5 23:00:23 arthur sshd[20226]: Accepted publickey for pc19 from 10.0.0.9
port 52410 ssh2

> > and nothing else! Where could be the fault?
>
> most likely in your x11 forwarding .. check with
> something simple like xclock, make sure that your
> sshd has X11 forwarding enabled and that you have
> xauth installed to get the required authorization

xauth is installed, I think so!(?) The installation is just copied (read below)

> > Starting vmplayer:
> > pc16@arthur:~> ssh -X pc19@10.0.0.49 vmplayer '/home/vmware/WinXPprof/WinXPprof.vmx'
> > /usr/lib/vmware/bin/vmplayer: /usr/lib/vmware/lib/libpng12.so.0/libpng12.so.0: no

> > version information available (required by /usr/lib/libcairo.so.2)
> >
> > (vmplayer:21209): Gtk-WARNING **: cannot open display:
> >
> > (vmplayer:21219): Gtk-WARNING **: cannot open display:
> >
> > BTW: a  ssh -X .... kwrite  or .... vmplayer to Suse 10.2 machine natively
> > installed works fine!
>
> well, then copy that installation (which has
> the proper configuration) into a guest, and it
> will magically start to work :)

that is exactly what I've done! I've copied the original Suse 10.2,
moved the boot.* scripts in init.d and some other hardware specific scripts:

acpid               boot.evms         boot.preload        boot.videobios  nscd
alsasound           boot.ipconfig     boot.preload_early  fbset           ntp
autofs              boot.klog         boot.proc           haldaemon       powerd
bluetooth           boot.ldconfig     boot.rootfsck       halt            powerfail
boot                boot.loadmodules  boot.sched          halt.local      powersaved
boot.apparmor       boot.local        boot.scpm           lm_sensors      powertweakd
boot.cleanup        boot.localfs      boot.scsidev        mdadmd          smb
boot.clock          boot.localnet     boot.swap           microcode       smbfs
boot.crypto         boot.lvm          boot.sysctl         network         smpppd
boot.d              boot.md           boot.udev           nfsserver       spamd
boot.device-mapper  boot.multipath    boot.udev_retry     nmb

Where could be the fault?

BTW:
  pc16@arthur:~> ssh -X pc19@10.0.0.49 xclock
  Error: Can't open display: arthur2:10.0

The vserver arthur reacts always with the same:
      Accepted publickey for pc19 from 10.0.0.9 port 33409 ssh2

cheers
Ekkard