Subject: How to build kernel modules for host?
From: "Roderick A. Anderson" <raanders@acm.org>
Date: Wed, 24 Sep 2008 10:47:20 -0700

And if that question isn't ambiguous enough I don't know what would be.

So here goes.  I need to build a kernel module that is need by software
to run in a guest.  Specifically the zaptel(ztdummy) module for Asterisk.

The instructions I'm using (http://www.telephreak.org/papers/vpa/) are
based on a debian install so since I use CentOS so my-mileage-will-vary.

When I've installed Asterisk on standalone systems I remember needing to
install the kernel sources/headers.  That was a full Asterisk install so
I'm not sure if to build only the zaptel driver I need them -- the
source/headers.

To be on the safe side I'd like to go ahead and install them.

So the questions are:
  * Is the kernel*src*.rpm from Daniel's repository enough?
  * Would the L-V patches cause any problems when building other kernel
modules?
  * Should I just install, via yum, the whole *-devel pile?

Thanks for any help suggestions,
Rod