Subject: Re: [vserver] About running X server on guest
From: Stephen Liu <satimis@yahoo.com>
Date: Sat, 30 Aug 2008 12:47:21 +0800 (CST)

--- Herbert Poetzl <herbert@13thfloor.at> wrote:

> On Sat, Aug 30, 2008 at 12:17:23AM +0800, Stephen Liu wrote:
> >
> > --- Nicolas Cadou <ncadou@cobi.net> wrote:

> > > On the guest, since you're getting the error by running startx in
> the
> > > guest.
> > >
> > > Is that what you really want? Running X on the host AND a second
> > > instance in
> > > the guest?
> >

> > No, absolutely NOT. I'm testing X forwarding. In the guest to
> forward
> > X from the host. ssh, server and client, are installed in guest. In
> > the guest I can ssh connect the host. But I can't forward X of host
> > to the guest. Because no X session is installed/running on the
> guest.
> > Therefore I install X packages on the guest in anticipation to have
> > window of the host forwarded to the guest. So that I can operate
> host
> > application in the guest on X window. This is a test.
>
> most likely, you are doing it the wrong way round,
> and what you actually want is the following:
>
>  host: running X (the thing with the gnome stuff on
>        on the monitor, not necessarily the host the
>        guests are on :)
>
>  guest: running some X application which gets
>         displayed on your X screen (on the host)
>
> what you need for that (besides the obvious X) is
> only this:
>
>  - sshd (running on the guest, with xforwarding
>    enabled) check X11UseLocalhost no (unless you
>    have lback active)
>
>  - xauth (again on the guest) to get the magic
>    cookies :)
>
>  - your X11 application, e.g. xterm or xeyes
>
> what you do is simply ssh to the guest (from your
> graphical desktop) and start the application

Hi Herbert

Done as advised.  Thanks

Having tried more than an hour w/o result.  Steps performed as follows;

Remark:

a)
Host can't ssh connect Guest, no password can satisfy.  I don't know
why.  Tried as root as well as user (satimis).  The passwords are
correct.  But Guest can ssh connect ths Host.

b)
On Guest, remove all packages, xserver-xorg-core, xorg, fluxbox, gdm,
etc. installed previously leaving firefox behind.

On Host
1)
Start Guest and enter it

2)
ssh connect the Host

# ssh 192.168.0.110 (Host local IP)

3)
# netstat -plnu | grep :177

No printout.

gdm is running on Host.

4)
# X -query 192.168.0.110 :2

A full screen is displayed without anything on it.  Mouse pointer can
be moved around.  No key operation works.  Neither can I escape to
close the screen.

Finally I have to press a hard reset to reboot PC.

B.R.
Stephen