Subject: Re: [vserver] Sponsoring VServer getting up to date with mainline
From: "Michael S. Zick" <mszick@morethan.org>
Date: Sat, 23 Aug 2008 09:34:07 -0500

On Fri August 22 2008 21:07, Herbert Poetzl wrote:

> the card in question is 8x, the slot 16x, so I
> think that should be fine

Let me drag myself back to the thread topic, if I can. ;)

A 1Tbyte working set, in primary storage; there are such
beasts, you don't want to know the price.

A 1Tbyte working set, in secondary storage;
Milestone 1: Replace the known to work 8x card.

A 1Tbyte working set, in secondary storage,
performance is seek time critical - -

Note: That PCIe slot will driver a 3 meter cable...
That means an external memory box (1Tbyte ram "disk" drive);
Not unknown, not cheap, but a consideration.

A 1Tbyte working set, in secondary storage,
change the machine - -
Here is a good starting point:
http://h10010.www1.hp.com/wwpc/us/en/sm/WF06b/15351-15351-3328412-241644-241475-1121516-3220768-3638246.html
Details:
http://h18004.www1.hp.com/products/quickspecs/12477_na/12477_na.html

A solid, dependable machine, you can option up/down from
that starting point.  Should easily support your I/O requirements.
Milestone 2: Pick a "proposed development machine" so that
potential supporters can see both machine and price goals.

Note: Also contact HP, this is a widely known project,
they just might loan you one.
Or a potential supporter might loan you one if they can
get it back for their own data center later.

Mike