Subject: Re: [vserver] more news on Debian support
From: Herbert Poetzl <herbert@13thfloor.at>
Date: Thu, 15 Oct 2009 18:47:24 +0200

On Thu, Oct 15, 2009 at 10:04:25AM -0400, Mark Little wrote:
> On Thu, 15 Oct 2009 14:12:35 +0100, ben@bristolwireless.net wrote:
> > Hi all,
> [...]
> > "
> > vserver
> > +++++++

> > Dann Frazier willing to do the work with Micah Anderson

> > Micah has agreed to handle the vserver<->kernel communication and
> > testing, while Dann helps w/ the nuts & bolts of getting the patches
> > applied.

> > Bastian Blank was opposed to carrying the patch.

> > It was agreed however users should be given sufficient warning of its
> > deprication.

> > Action item for Dann Frazier to investigate migration to Linux
> > containers. Dann Frazier and Micah Anderson willing to integrate
> > patches. Max will put Deprecation notice in squeeze release but looks
> > like this patch will make squeeze if Dann Frazier gets the work merged.
> > "

> > For me personally, it's great news that we probably get one more
> > cycle, and that this release should be at a time when the quality of
> > the vserver patch will be excellent.

> Hi there,

> I know this is a stupid question.. but what does this mean exactly?
> I have re-read it a few times but I am not sure what they are saying.

> Are they going to discontinue including a Linux-VServer kernel
> in the tree after Squeeze?

probably depends on how it all works out and when the
next release will be made (debian)

> I am confused by the talk of investigating migration to
> Linux containers.. is this a different project ?

after 7 years of Linux-VServer and similar virtualization
projects 'mainline' has finally figured that (OS level)
virtualization is something the user wants :)

for political reasons, Linux-VServer was not included into
mainline, and instead an efford was started to re-implement
OS level virtualization in the kernel ...

Linux-VServer will continue for as long as the LXC project
(as it is called) doesn't reach the quality and feature
set Linux-VServer provides ... once that point is reached
the project will be reduced to util-vserver userspace
tools (or something else, if they get superceeded) and
no further kernel patch is necessary ...

HTC,
Herbert