Subject: Re: [vserver] vserver git server and misc. thoughts
From: Christian Balzer <chibi@gol.com>
Date: Thu, 14 Aug 2008 11:56:21 +0900

Hello,

On Wed, 13 Aug 2008 23:56:46 +0200 Herbert Poetzl wrote:
> On Wed, Aug 13, 2008 at 10:17:30PM +0200, Gildas wrote:
[...]
>> My question is simple though maybe a bit harsh: what future is left to
>> vservers? Does it makes sense to keep it as a separate project? What
>> does vservers support that is missing (or will be missing/absent) from
>> the container solution? Can it be merged?
>
> once the Linux-VServer functionality is completely
> covered by mainline kernels my job is done, and
> Linux-VServer will only remain as userspace tools
> (most likely util-vserver) maintained by Daniel or
> somebody else ....
>
> I have no problem with that whatsoever! :)

I had the feeling/impression that this was going to be your sentiment on
that. ;)

I guess my question in turn would be: When? At what point do you or
anybody with the necessary insight into kernel development envision this
to happen? And yes, can it be merged, as in, can the process being sped up
by moving VServer bits into the kernel that are not being addressed by
current container efforts?

I (well, the people that feed me) will need IPV6 capable VServers (or an
equivalent) by the end of next year for example. And I venture the
clamoring by people for it to work with newer kernels is at least
partially driven by the need to support very recent hardware.

Regards,

Christian
--
Christian Balzer        Network/Systems Engineer                NOC
chibi@gol.com   	Global OnLine Japan/Fusion Network Services