Subject: Re: [vserver] About Ubuntu Karmic Koala ...
From: Herbert Poetzl <herbert@13thfloor.at>
Date: Sat, 7 Nov 2009 18:39:25 +0100

On Sat, Nov 07, 2009 at 04:26:15PM +0100, Thomas Weber wrote:
> Am Samstag, den 07.11.2009, 03:18 -0600 schrieb Dragan Saraginov:
> > Thanks Tom for your directions. I was able to solve the problem. I
> > followed your suggestions quoted below

> You're welcome.

> > > You can set the init style to plain for your 9.04 vserver and/or
> > > replace the upstart package with sysvinit. Restart the vserver and
> > > you should be able to finish the upgrade process BUT you will run
> > > into the upstart issue after that (in 9.10 there seems to be no
> > > sysvinit package to replace upstart anymore).

> > and I was able to upgrade my Ubuntu 9.04 powered VPS to Ubuntu 9.10
> > without any problem. The upgrade procedure went fine. After the
> > upgrade was done I deleted the 'style' file from the configuration.
> > Next, rebooted the VPS. As I can see now everything seems to be
> > working like it should. The only thing I did not do was replacement
> > of the upstart package with sysvinit, but as I said the upgrade went
> > fine and my VPS is working like it should.

> Though the problem still exists: upstart won't work out of the box with
> linux-vserver. With style=plain it really should.

the problem here is that upstart has some 'requirements'
and makes some 'assumptions' which no other init did
before, but nothing really critical ...

please check here for details (and maybe put the results
on a wiki page afterwards?)

http://irc.13thfloor.at/LOG/2009-10/LOG_2009-10-16.txt

starting with 1255716292 ...

> Installing ubuntu 9.10 inside a vserver wont work (you did a tricky
> update). And I guess any upstart based distribution will fail too.

not if configured properly :)