Subject: Re: [vserver] odd network problem
From: Herbert Poetzl <herbert@13thfloor.at>
Date: Thu, 13 Nov 2008 16:35:43 +0100

		~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ that is unusual

> from the host. the ip blocks of the various guests and the host use 3
> networks on the same nic.

> i restarted each of those affected servers. when they stopped each
> gave this error:

> RTNETLINK answers: Cannot assign requested address
> RTNETLINK answers: Cannot assign requested address
>
> it appears it gave one line for every ip assigned to the guest.

that happens if the IP is already there (maybe with
the wrong netmask or so)

> restarting those 2 vservers cured the problem. these are the only two
> affected out of the others living on that host.

this will have removed and re-added the IPs properly

> i dont think this has anything to do with it but the centos guest was
> moved to this server by simply tarring its /vservers and /etc/vservers
> entries. the openfire and gentoo guests were created and configured on
> this host. no ip addresses clash.

> the host is running gentoo64 baselayout1 with

> kernel 2.6.22-vs2.3.0.34-gentoo
> util-vserver 0.30.215
> iproute2 version 2.6.22.20070710

> i am planning on updating the kernel to 2.6.26-vs2.3.0.35.6-gentoo and
> baselayout2/openrc but it is on my 'when i get to it' priority list.

> anyone seen this behavior of stopping a guest and it affecting
> networking on other guests before? this is new behavior to me.

well, it is kind of expected, if you are using several
IPs in the same network (i.e. with a netmask) and without
secondary propagation, that when you remove the primary,
all secondaries are gone too (that is a mainline 'feature')

but I'm not sure that matches what you are seeing, because
as I said, the secondaries are gone, so they are not supposed
to show up on the host or anywhere (in this case)